Sunday, April 28, 2013

Perfect Moment Monday

Perfect Moment Monday is about noticing a perfect moment rather than creating one. Perfect moments can be momentous or ordinary or somewhere in between. On the last Monday of each month we engage in mindfulness about something that is right with our world. Everyone is welcome to join. To participate in Perfect Moment Monday: Follow Write Mind Open Heart. Between the Sunday night before and the Sunday night after, write up your own Perfect Moment and post. Visit the Perfect Moments of others and let the writers know you were there with some comment currency.

Moment #1: We are thinking of participating in a Mentor program for him.  It is kind of like Big Brothers/Big Sisters, but for children with ADHD/Aspergers.  We sit at the table and he is asked his opinion of the program from one of the supervisors who has come to interview us.  For once, he voices his opinion and shows his emotions quite openly and honestly.  And it is not what I want to hear.  He is reluctant to do this program.  He feels that we see something lacking in him.  He closes down.  The interview seems to have stalled and I fear that something that I think we should really try, something that I think will help him despite himself, is at an end.  We limp along the interview...grasping.  The supervisor asks what he likes to do besides video games.  I mention Star Wars and Lego sets.  A spark.  He gets excited.  He starts to hint broadly that the supervisor should see his latest Lego set in his room.  They go up to his room.  He is now talking animatedly.  And they are up there for about 10 minutes.  A perfect moment that I did not see, but I could feel.  A connection.  That is all I am asking for.

Moment #2: She is, as always, reluctant to go to sleep.  I am so tired. I have half-heartedly read books and I finally just lay beside her in her bed, hoping she will just fall asleep already...see, watch me!  Instead...she sings Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star to me and strokes my head.  I lie there in wonder at her agelessness.



  Photobucket

5 comments:

Petite Coccinelle said...

Your second moment had me tearing up. That is one of the most precious things I've ever heard. You have a truly beautiful family.

Liz said...

Thank you for the reminder of those perfect moments that come when we are looking the other way, hoping for something else, and an unexpected blessing finds us.

Glad to find your blog and meet a fellow Sci Fi geek. My BFF's first son is named Xander (after BTVS). :)

Kathy said...

What beautiful and perfect moments for sure. I know I have told you this before, but I love how you write your Perfect Moment Monday posts, in the third person and sharing one about your son and one about your daughter. Both of your posts resonate with me, having a son who has some similar issues and also loves video games and legos and a daughter who struggles to sleep lately. Thank you for capturing the good in what can otherwise be challenging times as parents. I hope you have a wonderful week, filled with many more perfect moments!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Such beautiful moments. Your son makes a connection, and your daughter gives you tenderness. I feel happy and content on both counts, just reading your accounts.

Unknown said...

Those are always the best moments! Best of luck to you and your son!

Much Needed Self Care...

For my Birthday this year, I got a weekend away from everyone at a nice hotel with a spa.  This was the weekend.  And much needed it was! Af...