When our friend died, Michael never cried. He was sad, but he did what he normally does--internalized his emotions. He is often stoic and a loner type, a personality and Aspergers trait. It is hard to get into his emotional core sometimes.
Yesterday, for the first time in a long time, I heard him cry. That awful cry of heartache and grief and loss. I could tell by his cries that it was not just for the loss of Lily (who he had gotten extra close to), but also the BIG thoughts of early adult hood...mortality and all that entails.
Part of me was happy that something had reached his emotional core. A part of me was glad to see him grasping things that are hard, that at least this was a gentle entry into this part of life (and death).
But mostly--my heart ached for my son who was inconsolable.
He had a good cry, I held him and rubbed his back. He slept a little on the couch. He talked to his dad and he had a good long shower.
Monday, March 11, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
25 years...
I took the Michael (he was almost 3) to daycare and proceeded to drive into work. Heard the first plane had hit (we thought accident, maybe...
-
The camping trip was a great success. Michael and I had such a great time that I am certain this will become a tradition (for a longer perio...
-
Posting my show and tell early, as we are going away for the weekend... Last weekend we went to a medieval faire . We go every year, and t...
-
I do not wear a lot of jewerly, but I do like bracelets, especially charm bracelets. Here are some that I have: This is my newest one: It ha...
No comments:
Post a Comment