Sunday, July 12, 2009

Tall Ships - Show & Tell #41

NOTE: I posted this on Sunday, but it is a perfect post for Show & Tell...

First off, I must say I do LOVE LOVE love my cell phone camera. It is so easy since I almost always have my cell phone on and in my pocket...its great to just whip it out and snap a picture. Last week, my husband started a new job and I sent him pictures of the kids doing various activities through out the day (bummer for me, cuz when I get a new job I won't have anyone doing that for me!).

So, Saturday we went on a cruise on Boston Harbor to go see the Tall Ships . It was Willow's first time on a boat (it was more like a small Ferry). She was wonderful the whole 2 hour cruise--she especially liked it once I brought her up to the front of the ship where she could really see the boats.

The weather was wonderful and we had great views of the harbor and the ships. The harbor was jam packed with boats going around trying to see the ships, which were from all over the world. Luckily we were on a commercial boat, so we got preferential treatment and got to see everything real close. But the wakes from the other boats were pretty substantial and those of us (ME and Michael) who are more susceptible to motion sickness started to feel a little queasy...luckily it wasn't too bad and we were both fine after a bit.

It did not help that Michael and I had watched "A Night to Remember" (one of my favs) the day before--its about the Titanic, if you don't want to click on the title to find out. So, that meant at the beginning of the trip, Michael kept worrying that the boat was tipping over, and later on he was talking to another boy about how there were not enough flotation devices for all the children on board (by his calculations). Despite that, he actually enjoyed himself and loved seeing all the boats in the harbor (I think he liked that more than the Tall Ships).

At one point, Willow wanted to walk around and we were doing the boat-walk (where you look tipsy) and a gentlemen commented on how she is probably better suited to walk this way than we are.

I did bring my video camera, of course, but I did get some nifty shots from my cellphone too. And here they are:


On the way to the cruise, we passed by this very weird sculpture of just people's heads. Ummm..in the distant future will they think we were cannibals based on this weird totem of heads?


A lot of the Tall Ships were docked along the World Trade Center corridor.


We got very close to many of them.


The lines to go inside these ships were LOOONNNG! We decided the cruise was far less of a hassle. We were told by our ship's captain that the lines just to get onto the wharf were long.


This is a Russian ship which is one of the biggest in the world.

Show and Tell
Click to see who else is Showing & Telling.

13 comments:

Valerie said...

Thanks for sharing the pictures. I really wanted to go see the ships but I did not want to deal with the crowds. I wish I had thought of taking a cruise.

Cara said...

Man, you guys do the cooolest things!!

Flying Monkeys said...

Great pictures! I love looking at ships from the dock or if they are docked themselves, not a fan of open water. Jaws, Titanic, Poseidon Adventure, whatever, it's not my bag. And you get on them with motion sickness too, awesome. :)

areyoukiddingme said...

We used to go and see the tall ships when they'd come to Chicago - it's really cool!

Kristin said...

I would love to see the tall ships one day...how cool!

AnotherDreamer said...

How neat! I've never been anywhere near a ship like that, it must have been fascinating.

Mrs. Gamgee said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing your pics... those ships are incredible!

kate said...

Cool! My husband is a huge water-guy, and any time we are traveling to an area with a waterfront, he always wants to take a boat tour (if one is available, of course!). We did the canal tour in Amsterdam, the Rhinefahrt in Cologne, the Paddleboat tour in New Orleans, and when we head to Charleston and San Diego this fall, I'm assuming that we'll try to catch a boat ride in each of those places, too!

Great pictures!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Fascinating! My inlaws were telling me all about the Tall Ships, and now I have your pix to complement their stories.

Katie said...

How cool! Sounds like a fun day

Beautiful Mess said...

How fun! I love the photos of the ships! Glad you all had such a wonderful time. YAY for summer activities!
*HUGS*

cowboyboot lady said...

What a fun event! Really cool ships. You got some great pics!

Sean B. Halliday said...

First off, I have to say that I LOVE cruise ships.
I spent over 12 years working on them as a Scuba Instructor,
Shore Excursion Manager and an IT Officer.

For 2 years I also worked shoreside in Miami as a database IT guy.

During my years on ships, I have to stay that many things happened
and that life is definately stranger than fiction on cruise ships.

Many people have asked me to share the stories I have collected over
the years, so I am complying with their request.

My site is: www.cruiseshipstories.com

If you had any stories of your own to add, please
send them to me and I will be happy to add them.

Sean B. Halliday
www.cruiseshipstories.com

Much Needed Self Care...

For my Birthday this year, I got a weekend away from everyone at a nice hotel with a spa.  This was the weekend.  And much needed it was! Af...