Sunday, September 24, 2017

Remeberances



Today is my mom's birthday.  Normally, the scramble to some how find a time and place to celebrate, to coordinate (especially since my brother's birthday is also this month)...normally the "hassle" of this would come into play (at least a little).  Well.  There is year, starts the years of knowing that there are no more birthdays, at least with her here.

It was quieter this year..and made me feel a little guilty that daily life can sometimes make these celebrations seem just mandatory intrusions into our busy lives.  I will be more mindful of this, or at least I will try, when other such celebrations occur.

Today, my brother and sister in law and my nieces came by this morning.  We had a breakfast together and had pancakes and scambled eggs and fruit and carrot cake.  (No freckle...not enough people like that special egg concoction that our Grandma and Mom made...perhaps another time...)

We had a pleasant morning.  Then we each lit a memorial candle, remembering her.  Michael remembered going to the movies with her (we saw The Hobbit and a couple other ones); Willow remembered when we unexpectedly dropped by to see her and how she smiled; Chewy remembered one of the first times he met her...and she gave him a head of lettuce to take back to his home; my nieces remembered going to visit her; my brother remembered a childhood memory of spending en evening with her while our dad was out; my SIL remembered visiting her in her apartment and going out to lunches with her; and I remembered her picking out presents for everyone out of the Kimbles magazine.

Memories are important and I am glad we were able to share them.  Memories keep the person alive.  So.  Happy Birthday, Mom.

1 comment:

St Elsewhere said...

"seem just mandatory intrusions into our busy lives"....I have had that feeling and it makes me feel very guilty too.

Happy Birthday to your mother. I am glad you all got together, and spoke of the memories you had.

Much Needed Self Care...

For my Birthday this year, I got a weekend away from everyone at a nice hotel with a spa.  This was the weekend.  And much needed it was! Af...