Saturday, April 07, 2012

19th Anniversary Dinner and Trips to the ER...

As my little description says on this blog--life is messy and chaotic.  And boy, the last few days have totally lived up to that!

So, April 3rd was our 19th Wedding Anniversary.  My mother is staying at our house until her furniture/stuff gets here, so she offered to watch the kids while we went out.  

Chewy took this opportunity to get all romantic-like.  He mysteriously had me meet him at Lexington Green (we were married in Lexington).  And then he took over driving (something that usually makes me motion sick). Not only was he driving, but he had me blindfolded too.  We arrived in Arlington, and I had a guess where we might be going...

See, we like to sometimes tell people we eloped...because essentially, we did in a lot of ways.  We had just moved 800 miles away from family and friends.  Young college graduates with no money.  Our families were not going to be able to give us a wedding (either there or where we were located).  So, we took upon ourselves.  We arranged the Justice of the Peace and the reception.  Which was at a Chinese restaurant in Arlington....which is where I thought we were going....

But as I started to steer us towards that place, my husband said: "Oh no, we are not going there...." and he took me to a nice romantic Argentian restaurant.

We had a romantic much so that we decided not to go to the movie afterwards, but just hang out and walk together in the cool night air.

And then...well, midnight til about 9 a.m. Chewy was not feeling too good.  Abdominal pain and other fun (no up chuckn' tho).  

So, I postponed my job interview the next day to spend the day with him in the ER.  By 2 p.m. they had no idea what was up...and the pain medications seemed to be doing the we went home.

By 10 p.m. that evening, he had a fever of 102.4 and was delirious.  Soooo...back to the ER.  Where they ran several more tests (adding to the stomach CTScan of the afternoon, he had a head CTScan and more blood drawn).  By 4 a.m. they knew he had an infection and they knew that the antibiotics were seeming to work...but they had no idea WHAT was causing the infection.

Flash forward to today.  Chewy has been admitted to the hospital since Thursday and he has had a lumbar punction, a heart ultrasound and blood cultures drawn.  The antibiotics have been doing the trick but they STILL have no idea what caused his illness.  So, they want to keep him there for a few more days to make sure that he doesn't have another fever and to check out the blood cultures.

Yesterday, the kids and I visited him for lunch; today we will do the same.  I talked to him this morning and he is feeling fine and is BORED silly.

We are both still worried about the fact that they don't know what caused his infection.  However, we both acknowledge that his work schedule the past 2 weeks probably did not help.

Hopefully, he will be back home on Monday.

Meanwhile...I guess we won't be going back to that restaurant for a while...the associations are too strong.


Sarah said...

I am so sorry he is so sick :( that is miserable and so scary!

Also, just so I am sure I am not an idiot, when you say "Lexington Green" you don't mean the one in Lexington KY, right? I mean, I THINK I would know if we lived in the same area..
But then again, maybe not. And I are somewhere else, but when I read it I was like "hold up..."

~Jess said...

Yikes! Happy Anniversary!

Hope he's doing better ASAP!

Kristin said...

Oh Delenn, how scary. I hope he feels better soon and there are no repeats of the illness. Call me if you need to talk.

Ana said...


Killing time...

Things I have been doing lately: Job hunting Cuddling with cats Worrying about the world at large Worrying about Michael's future...