Thursday, August 02, 2012

Okay, I guess I am going to say something about it...

Although I started this blog with the intention of keeping family and friends informed about our family, etc. I did not shy away from my politics. Most people are pretty clear that I am a liberal. Most people know I am an athiest.

But, I try to stay out of the fray most times--mainly because I realized as time went on, that no matter what evidence I present to the other side, no matter how many times we argue back and forth--neither side budges. And I get frustrated with it. I get frustrated with the jingoistic, hypocritically religious on both sides.

However, today I looked on Facebook and saw a friend in pain. Saddened and upset because she knew people who personally went to Chick-a-Fil yesterday in protest of her way of life. And my friend means a lot to me. And her rights mean a lot to me.

Personally, I think boycotts do not "work". I do feel that if you have a problem with some policy it is good to avoid their business. However, to have a religious call to protest--that is another matter. That means you are supporting discrimination and bigotry. To specifically go there to support that on that specific day.

I guarantee you know someone that this affects. I believe that marriage equality is a HUMAN right. A human should be able to love whoever then want, however they want to do it.

It sickens me that people who are Christian would feel that another human being is filthy and dirty and cannot have such a basic human right.

Okay, I would probably write more--but, of course, I really should be getting ready for a job interview...I just had to get this off my chest.

As for the first amendment right -- yes, he has his first amendment right to do as he wants to.  We have the first amendment right to protest that. A good article about that is HERE. I just read a very well written piece on this subject HERE. Photobucket

2 comments:

BleedingTulip said...

The entire gay issue has probably been something I have thought about more than just about anyone in my church. My cousin, who is more like a brother to me than my actual brother, is one of my best friends and I have more memories than I can count of us growing up and playing together - this cousin is gay. My childhood friend, Polly, who I have known since 5th grade, is Bi. And I don't know if it makes me a hypocrite, but I think that there are LOTS of marriages (even if they are heterosexual) in this country that are not what we are called to emulate as Christians. And we don't go into those homes and tell them to change. If two men or two woman want to be married, according this this country's government, I DON'T CARE. I don't really understand how it impacts the marriage I have with my husband. But I also think that as per freedom of religion, if certain churches don't want to perform the ceremony, then they can do that.

There are no Chick-Fil-A's in the state I live in so this whole situation seems just so weird to me.

Ana said...

Thank you... being that friend ... your post means everything to me. I love and appreciate you.

Much Needed Self Care...

For my Birthday this year, I got a weekend away from everyone at a nice hotel with a spa.  This was the weekend.  And much needed it was! Af...