Thursday, September 28, 2017

Sensitivies

A few nights ago...
                              She comes over to the edge of our bed (my side). She cannot sleep, she says...she always has troubles falling asleep at night, but for some reason the last few nights have been worse.  Finally, I ask in desperation, "Well, is it better for me to come to your room and sit with you, or just have you come in our bed?" She said "Please can I cuddle?".  

                              So, pushed to the far end of my bed, with an already immovable  asleep object on the other side (Hi there, Chewy!).  We laid down, and I held her close...and I brushed her hair with my hand.  She said "Will you promise me something?"  "Sure." "Please don't die until you are at least 100 years old, okay?!" It is late, she is beautiful and warm and so worried and mine.  I lie.  "Of course, hon.  I promise."   She falls asleep, as I lay there and wonder at life and everything.

--------------------------------------

This morning at the IEP meeting....

                              We are about to leave the productive and long meeting, he has already went into the car, waiting for us. One of the counselors asked if we heard the puppy story.  We had not.

                              This summer, he had the internship at the Rescue League.  He started there by shadowing the counselor (who volunteers there regularly).  At one point, the counselor was saying "Good girl!, etc." to a puppy while taking care of it.  Michael asked "Why are you talking to the puppy that way?  It doesn't understand human words!"  The counselor explained that especially shelter dogs do not get as much interaction as other dogs and this was a way for the dogs to receive some happiness.  Later on the day, when it was time to go, the counselor couldn't find him.  When he did, he found Michael in a room, sitting on the floor with three puppies climbing on him.  He was playing with them and saying "Good Girl!", then looking to make sure the appropriate gender of the next pup "Good...Boy!"









No comments:

Much Needed Self Care...

For my Birthday this year, I got a weekend away from everyone at a nice hotel with a spa.  This was the weekend.  And much needed it was! Af...