Saturday, August 09, 2008

Show & Tell #6


Show and Tell


(These pictures are pictures of pictures, so excuse the quality)


This is our first family portrait. It was taken around May 2001. Michael was 3 months old. I remember feeling so proud and also so clueless. We dressed up in our finest clothes, and dressed Michael up so pretty. We brought a bottle of formula even. The room was hot. The lights were hot. Michael was fussy. He was tired. His clothes were too hot for him. I insisted on having a clothing change for his pictures by himself. It was a disaster. But, we got some cute pictures anyways and we proudly displayed our family.




Today we went for our first family portrait with Willow. This time, we did not get her out of her pjs until we got there. She was dressed lightly. We gave her intermitten sips from a bottle. And when she did fuss (which wasn't much), we handled it gracefully. We were veterans. We dressed in dressier casual, we relaxed. It was fun. Willow is 3 1/2 months old. Michael, that 3 month old up in that first photo--he's NINE.



Not only did we get some good photos--we got our children's personalities. Miss "Fist in Mouth" proudly displayed her hands.





And Michael showed his cunning.



Something I tend to do is put recent photos in front of older ones. It is always fun to look at the changes from year to year. And the act of doing the family portrait also reminded me about the changes in our attitudes and behaviors. How we are more mellow with this second child. How we are comfortable in our roles as parents. How our son is growing and changing. What will the next family portrait show us?

11 comments:

chicklet said...

They got some really good ones of you guys, and the ones of the kids are awesome.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. Those first family photos where you THINK you're in control ... until everything goes ccrazy! It's a good thing we all (usually) learn from experience. :)

bleu said...

I so look forward to that. To not having the first child fears and making things so difficult for yourself. I really hope I get to experience that. Great share.

Valerie said...

Awesome pictures!

Amy said...

I love the progression. I hope I get to experience that and can someday call myself a veteran parent.

Thanks for the share!

Lee said...

Beautiful photos of a wonderful family! Thanks for sharing.

via Mel's Snow and Tell

Kristin said...

You have beautiful children.

Sam said...

what great photos!! Experience comes with time doesn't it!!?

Stacie said...

Great pictures! It is amazing how fast time flies by, isn't it?

Dr. Grumbles said...

Great pictures!

Ana said...

great pics! I miss you guys... gotta make a trip soon! XOXOX

Much Needed Self Care...

For my Birthday this year, I got a weekend away from everyone at a nice hotel with a spa.  This was the weekend.  And much needed it was! Af...