Friday, June 12, 2009

Conflicted - Updated

Ever since Michael was 5 months old, I have been working. I did have a day off in the middle of each week, my "Mommy Day" with him until he started kindergarten. Since he started school, the options during the summer have slowly turn to summer day camps. Which are mostly fun for him. But, they are more structured summer time than when I was a child. When I was a child, I did not get to go on field trips, but I did get to hang around the house, climb in the woods and play with the neighborhood kids. I often bemoan the fact that my children will never have that type of summer off.

When I found myself unemployed in March, I originally thought that I would hopefully be employed by June/July. But May dragged on with prospects drying up, agencies telling me that there was nothing much out there and that the summers, which are generally slower anyways wasn't looking too good either. So, I started to prepare for a summer off with the kids. And I was looking forward to it. I scheduled Michael into summer camp a couple of weeks (to stave off boredom and give me some sanity time) and I was getting ready to sign Willow up for My Gym classes; Michael for a Science Camp (which runs for a week at 3 hours in the morning--something I could not normally have done on a work schedule). I bought arts and crafts to play with, I was thinking about all the field trips we could do, and I was gearing up to spend some wonderful time with my kids.

And NOW, on the edge of it--two possible jobs on the horizon. One that sounds like a good fit--but I don't have an interview yet, just a "they liked your resume". Another just popped up today with an aggressive staffing agent (who I have never heard of) calling me out of the blue for an "immediate" opening--of which I know next to nothing. They are so aggressively interested that I told them I could not meet with them until Tuesday because I don't have daycare on Mondays and they said to "bring her along" for a meeting. My immense gut doesn't like to be pushed into things...but I am willing to find out what the job is...

So. The first thing I felt when this person called me this morning? Not happy to get some movement on the job front. No. I tearfully worried about how my son would handle not having a lazy summer after all.

Of course, these possibilities could be nothing. Or something. And of course, I will pursue what is the best for me and my family in the long run. But...with some regret.

UPDATE:

I was able to do some detective work, and I think I found out where the job is (still not sure WHAT the job is). Some things from their website:
"...we're proud to have been named, for the second year in a row, one of the Best Places to Work in America by the Society for Human Resource Management and the Great Place to Work Institute.."
"...we would be missing the boat if we didn't reward our energetic, dedicated, impact-driven professionals with important benefits like:
Increased Firm Holidays (14 per year) so members can enjoy family time and really relax away from the office. Summer Hours on Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor Day. "

Hmmm...we shall have to see if the job they are offering is a fit, but this MAY actually be the family friendly environment I am looking for...

5 comments:

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

I empathize with your conflicted feelings and I so hope it all works out. The aggressive job situation sounds hinky. Please update us and send my best always.

Anita said...

Good luck with the jobs whatever you end up deciding!

Thanks for your kind comment this week.

MrsSpock said...

I've accepted two jobs where I was aggressively pursues for who knows what reason- and they were both awful for me. I hope it's not hinky, as Martha suggested.

Wouldn't it be nice, though, to have something settled- even knowing you wouldn't have work this summer- because it is so much easier to just know your life won't won't have an hiccups for a while?

I wish my work would either tell us we're all laid off or we're all staying, and get over it.

Christy said...

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you that this is just the right job and the right place for you.

Cajun Cutie said...

Hope the job works out.

Much Needed Self Care...

For my Birthday this year, I got a weekend away from everyone at a nice hotel with a spa.  This was the weekend.  And much needed it was! Af...