Monday, April 24, 2023

Letter to My Daughter on her 15th Birthday

Dear Willow (a/k/a Willow-Bean; a/k/a Beanie-Baby; a/k/a Twerp2; a/k/a Huggle-Squish):

It is amazing how our relationship changes with time.  The most amazing part of being your mother is watching you mature and change and slowly find yourself as the individual that you will become. 

The past few years have been tough, and being a teenager is so fraught with so many obstacles and stumbling blocks, and battling Depression and Anxiety adds such a heavy burden to you that I worry you will break from the weight.  But, like the Willow Tree, you bend, but do not break. Even in the darkness, I have seen your light.  Even in the worst of times, I have seen your resilience. I wish I could lift your burdens, but part of growing up and becoming an adult is having to struggle through these things.  I hope that I am at least a safe harbor for you.

I have found that we have reached a new level in our mother-daughter time, where we have become more like friends and co-conspirators in life. I like being able to share adventures large and small with you.  I love how you have ambitions to travel (with and without me) and take in what the world has to offer.  I love your eclectic and adventurous nature that peaks through the gloom and self-doubt.

And the more you grow, the more often I see bits of myself and your father in you--your sense of humor and over-the-top (and sometimes inappropriate) declarations and statements---obviously more of your father.  Your sense of empathy and macabre sensibilities--I see myself reflected in you.

I hope that this next year, the clouds begin to lift for you and that this coming year is one that gives you as much love, light, wisdom and adventure as there can be.

I will always love you!

--------------------


No comments:

Wearing Weary

"There is no normal life that is free of pain.  It's the very wrestling with our problems that can be the impetus for our growth.&q...