Monday, March 12, 2012

Passage

"Monotony collapses time; novelty unfolds it.  You can exercise daily and eat healthily and live a long life, while experiencing a short one.  If you spend your life sitting in a cubicle and passing papers, one day is bound to blend unmemorably into the next--and disappear.  That's why it's important to change routines regularly, and take vacations to exotic locales, and have as many new experiences as possible that can serve to anchor memories.  Creating new memories stretches out psychological time, and lengthens our perception of our lives."  --Joshua Foer "Moonwalking with Einstein"

Reading this book has been very interesting...it is about memory and our brain and how it functions.  I am amazed at how much we still do not understand about our brain.

When I got to the above passage, however, it struck me how I have always always felt about my life and time--how often I seek to find something new, some new experience. Some times it is the yearly gaming convention, or summer at Cape Cod.  This coming Saturday we are going to a symphony concert (Willow's first time).  I realized how much I am grasping at something one cannot hold onto for long, how time slips through even when you are having fun (hey, sometimes I feel time goes faster when my weekends are full of these experiences...).

Life is full and fun and a one time thing.  So why do I let myself get into a rut?  I guess sometimes I need to be reminded.  And now I am off to spend some time with my nieces...cuz, they are growing so fast (damn, that time thing again!)

1 comment:

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I really want to read that book. I've been on the wait list at the library for a while.

I feel like my brain gives me a nudge when I need it. Right now, I'm not in a change place. I'm in a I-need-constants place. And then one day I wake up and realize that I'm totally open to the idea of changing jobs, going somewhere, etc.

Much Needed Self Care...

For my Birthday this year, I got a weekend away from everyone at a nice hotel with a spa.  This was the weekend.  And much needed it was! Af...