Sunday, November 29, 2015

Thanksgiving, North Carolina, Time and the Sunday Post Holiday Trip Blahs

We traveled a round trip of over 1,500 miles this Thanksgiving holiday weekend (because of the amount of travel our "weekend" started Tuesday...)

We visited my dad and his wife for the holidays, as they recently moved to North Carolina for their retirement.  It suits them well and while I am not happy my dad lives so far away, I can see why he likes it.

The trip was long, the kids were awesome about it, the area he lives in reminded us of the Midwest, and there were reminders of the past and future everywhere.

Time and its perception are at play during vacations and trips and holidays.  I missed my homes, both my childhood home and my home here in MA.  I missed my dad and was so happy to see him...and I missed my whole family who are kinda scattered everywhere now...the past and the present intersecting.

The food was good, the company was nice and we all had a good time.  With that said, do I wish there had been more time?  Yes, because of the little things my dad did not get to see...my daughter reading Pippi Longstockings in the hotel room, my son actually opening up to me tonight with a long discussion on Hollywood masks and how they were made...things he could not get to know from the little time we all had this visit.  Time is precious and limited... We did a good job and we all were able to spend time together... And it was still not enough.  But yet, it was something, so that will do.

We finished this weekend up with a movie today...we went to see the new Peanuts movie.  It was very good and made me feel like the people who made it (including family of Charles Schulz) understood the legacy of the characters very well.  After the movie, Chewy said, "You know, your Grandma would have liked that movie.". Which was what I had been thinking too.  I guess there was more time travel to end the weekend.

Now...we are taking baths, packing snacks, getting ready for Monday and school and work.  Sunday Blahs are upon me...wish I had a rewind button...

No comments:

Much Needed Self Care...

For my Birthday this year, I got a weekend away from everyone at a nice hotel with a spa.  This was the weekend.  And much needed it was! Af...