Sunday, November 14, 2010

Early Present

The afterschool program that Michael attends has a little shop off their front lobby. They sell foam swords, cloaks, shirts that say "Zombie Academy", Star Wars figures, etc. (i.e. essentially a geek child's fantasy)

Every day for the past, oh, I would say 2 months, Michael has went in there to look around. For the past month he has been drooling over a General Grievous Star Wars figure.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought it for a Christmas present for him. It has been sitting in the trunk of the car, the perfect hiding place.

Friday night he was looking and playing with a General Grievous in the store. And as we sat in the car, he asked if he could go home and get his saved allowance money and then drive back so that he could purchase it himself.

I am good at surprising people, but even I know my limits.

His eyes grew big as I showed him the "body" in the trunk. I warned him that if he got it now, he would be one present shorter at Christmas/Hanukkah. His amazement and his profound gratitude (he said he loved me several times in a row) showed me that he did not mind.

It's a pretty cool General Grievous, if I do say so myself, and seeing him play with it now warms me just as much as it would on X-Mas morning. (and...he doesn't know there are already more surprises for him scattered in hiding places around the house!!)

2 comments:

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Wow, this is so wonderful, it's a Gift to me, the reader. Thanks Delenn for sharing the joy of the season, a wee bit early. Gosh, Hanukah is really soon...
Best to you and the family. Love General Grievous, especially the way he talks. But every girl wants to be Princess Leia, at least this 49 y/o one! ;o)

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

Oh that is so sweet!

Much Needed Self Care...

For my Birthday this year, I got a weekend away from everyone at a nice hotel with a spa.  This was the weekend.  And much needed it was! Af...